Cloud Migration Services
Cloud is changing the way Australians do business. Federal, state and local governments are grappling with cloud-first policies. Companies across industries are migrating their intranets, email servers and other business-critical functions to the cloud.
Analyst firm Gartner predicts that within three years, a corporate no-cloud policy will be as rare as a no-internet policy is today. So, if moving to the cloud is inevitable, what is the smartest way to transition? How can organisations minimise security concerns while maximising adoption and return on investment?
The answer is simple: careful planning and a robust cloud transition strategy.
What is Cloud Migration?
Cloud migration refers to the process of moving data, applications, databases, servers, and other digital assets to the cloud. It typically involves the migration of data from outdated, on-prem system to a cloud platform but can also refer to the movement of applications from one cloud system to another.
Approaches to Cloud Migration
There are six different approaches to cloud migration and each vary in accordance with business needs, complexity, and risk.
Cloud Migration Best Practices
- Determine the project scope: Every good project begins with defining the parameters and planning out the specific data, resources, and budget that will be required. Without a clearly defined scope, it is easy for scope-creep to happen whereby additional requirements are continuously added. This can lead to significant delays and budgeting problems.
- Evaluate the as-is state of your data: Ask yourself questions that allow you to garner a better understanding of your data and whether the migration plan is in line with your organisation’s policies. Examining any existing compliance or security guidelines can ensure the data migration will be aligned to your underlying data and technology strategy.
- Establish the migration timeframe: As the data migration should not disrupt or slow down normal business operations, it is essential that plenty of time is allocated to the project to accommodate delays and changes. By planning in detail and setting realistic expectations, you will be able to garner a better understanding of when the migration should be completed by.
- Back up data before the migration: Whilst every precaution can be undertaken to ensure a smooth migration, there is still the possibility that something may go wrong and lead to losing partial or complete data. Back up your data and run the migration in a testing environment to avoid this potential pitfall.
- Validate the data periodically: Check in with your data to prevent the costly error of migrating inaccurate data over. By periodically validating your data, it will be far easier and quicker to correct any mistakes than checking the bulk of the data at the end of the project.
Benefits of Moving to Cloud
Cloud computing saves businesses time and money. It improves cash flow, increases efficiency and boosts productivity. Here are a few other benefits:
- Flexibility : By using shared resources, automated distribution of cloud services provide only the services users need.
- Cost effectiveness : Only pay for the services used, reducing overall service costs.
- Safety : Cloud computing can be more secure than any other traditional IT infrastructure.
- Employee mobility : Cloud computing gives users the freedom to access important files, software and services anywhere, anytime and any device.
- Employee collaboration : When files and documents are hosted in the cloud, virtual teams can collaborate in real-time.
- Simplified maintenance : Cloud computing suppliers take care of server maintenance so you don’t have to.
- Eco-friendly : Moving to the cloud can reduce carbon emissions and energy usage by up to 75 percent in small to medium enterprises.
How our Cloud Migration Services can Help You
Antares offers cloud migration services that are focused on the Microsoft’s Office 365 with specialisations in on-prem to cloud migrations and cloud to cloud migrations. The cloud offers a wealth of flexibility and scalability to organisations that is not possible with on-prem solutions. We can help migrate your data and systems to a cloud environment in a seamless and streamlined fashion that does not affect everyday operations. Whether you are looking to migrate to the Office 365 suite or move from another cloud solution, we provide recommendations and implement an appropriate migration solution based on your needs.
Did You Know?
Our team of highly skilled consultants specialise in delivering SharePoint solutions both in on-premise and Cloud environments as well as providing solutions around BI & Data Analytics, Custom Application, Mobility, Migration and Managed Services.